Friday, March 2, 2018

Walk In The Light!

There's a Light that was shining
when the world began,
And a Light that is shining in the heart of man:
There's a Light that is shining
in the Turk and the Jew,
And a Light that is shining, friend,
in me and in you.
Walk in the Light, wherever you may be,
Walk in the Light, wherever you may be!


In my old leather breeches and
my shaggy, shaggy locks,
I am walking in the glory of the Light, said Fox.

With a book and a steeple and a bell and a key
They would bind it for ever-
but they can't, said he.
O, the book, it will perish, and the steeple will fall,
But the Light will be shining at the end of it all.

Walk in the Light, wherever you may be,
Walk in the Light, wherever you may be!
In my old leather breeches and
my shaggy, shaggy locks,
I am walking in the glory of the Light, said Fox.

"If we give you a pistol,
will you fight for the Lord?"
"You can't kill the devil with a gun or a sword."Will you swear on the Bible?"
I will not," said he,
"For the truth is as holy as the Book to me."

Walk in the Light, wherever you may be,
Walk in the Light, wherever you may be!
In my old leather breeches and
my shaggy, shaggy locks,
I am walking in the glory of the Light, said Fox.

There's an ocean of darkness
and I drowned in the night
Till I came through the darkness
to the ocean of Light;
You can lock me in prison
but the Light will be free.
And I'll walk in the glory of the Light, said he.
Walk in the Light, wherever you may be!

        This song really sums up our understanding of man's very innate connection with the Almighty in a basic way for our family. (Listen to the tune and word's by this First Day School, here.) 
          One of the ways in which Jesus was so radical was the way he dispelled the belief that following God's laws was somehow different or separate from "loving one another"....as if one could follow the God's laws to the letter and raise their own status in the eyes of God, without loving their fellow man. Jesus dispelled that myth when he said,

‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
          Our family does not believe that it is pleasing to God to carry out his commandments at the expense of loving one another. We believe God's highest law is love and that the rest of law is commentary on that one basic truth....for "God is love"! 
        We are weak and imperfect, but we try and seek to live by this same law. When Jesus asked the woman at the well to give him a drink, we are reminded that no one is beneath us and the gift of blessing one another is open to "even the least of these". When Jesus healed on the Sabbath, we are reminded God's laws are meant as a blessing as opposed to something that prevents us from blessing. When the Bible tells us that "God is the light of every man" we realize that heavenly revelation is not limited to one group of people, or one strain of Christianity. Our connection to God is not limited to a book, or a "church", or our perceived holiness. Our connection to God is limitless and timeless. It has always been and will always be. 
         May God bless your patience with me, as I have shared some personal views. To God be the glory to any truth there in, while my errors are my own. If anything shared is a blessing, than I am blessed. If anything shared be offensive, I pray it will not be a stumbling block for others!



      







No comments:

Post a Comment