Saturday, May 11, 2013

Homeschooling with Teaching Textbooks

Disclaimer: We love Teaching Textbooks but this endorsement was not paid and we are not connected to the company in any way.

      We love Waldorf style learning, especially for the younger children. But it is very time consuming, both in planning and execution. As my boys are growing older we need to devote more time to science experiments and life skills. We are really flexible with most subjects on assignments. We mix and match many curriculums.  
       But for math I have found that my children do best with steady, incremental lessons that build on each other. I don't have a strong enough grasp on math to design those myself beyond a certain point. I have been really hesitant to use the computer as a teacher. I would rather my children experience learning in a more holistic manner, but I have given in on this particular point for this particular subject.
        Teaching Textbooks is both a workbook and computer based learning system. It is very well paced and the children can manage all aspects of their lesson without me. (This is very helpful as Karson needs more of my time as he is learning to read.) It takes them about 30-45 minutes depending on the lesson. Then they are done with math! They love that they can do it themselves and love it when they get a perfect score.
       

        Please understand, however, it is not an advanced curriculum. We were doing Christian Light and found that the level we were on in that curriculum translated to a half a grade ahead in Teaching Textbooks. But we are not a strong math family and find that having a strong understanding of the basics is more helpful than being advanced and somewhat confused. Teaching Textbooks works well for us!
(Education preference is definitely for first hand experience!)

No comments:

Post a Comment