Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lead Your Children Through The Day!

   When we listened to Denny Kenaston's  Family Life Series, we gleaned many good tips for building a happy family life. The lesson I have been most blessed by and struggled with the most has been the lesson, "Lead your children through the day!".  This means being a presence in their lives and living every day with purpose and vision.



      When I had two children I could wake up Saturday morning and everyone could eat when they wanted, I could clean up the kitchen when I wanted, we could get dressed when we wanted, I could skip on some chores, and basically read or sew or do whatever I wanted. The children could manage a lot of the day on their own.
         But a house of six children is a different matter. Especially one where there are several young children. The house needs daily, almost constant, cleaning maintenance or it can get out of control quickly. Gone are the days of vacuuming once a week, or 5 minute dish washing duty, or 4-6 weekly loads of laundry.
         The mischief of one child, times six, is enough to make the house look like a tornado went through it. Even my older children perform better when they stay in the rhythm of daily chores and meal times. Things are more likely to be put away, messes are more likely to be picked up, and there are no arguments because "that is just the way it is".
         I think daily chores among large families are not at all unusual. It would be very difficult to clean a house, prepare the meals, and keep laundry in check without some help from the family....so this is not a unique concept. Rhythm, along with learning, work, and play, make for a balanced day!
         The part that I did not understand was how important I was in that equation. I needed to "lead" my children, not just relegate tasks. They needed to see me play an active role in everything that they did, not just give orders from the sewing machine or sink. I had to create a schedule that allowed me the ability to provide accountability for chores done. I had to turn off the radio so that my daughter could chat as we worked. I had to learn to stack wood with the boys and praise their "big muscles".
     
                                                             Kaleb in the Garden!

          In turn, being an irreplaceable part of a bigger functioning unit, gives the child an unmatched purpose and self worth that enables them to face life with confidence. They don't seemed to be as overwhelmed by big or complicated jobs that are outside the home, like loading a truck full of wood or scrubbing down an entire barn. They have been shown that work is fun and part of life.
          I had to learn to be a constant presence in their lives, trying to stay tuned in to their struggles, and encouraging their hopes and dreams. I had to learn to include them in the daily goals and visions as they are working members of the whole.
         Leading your children through the day is akin to shepherding your children's hands and hearts in the way that they should go, while tuning in to their present state of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment